Here you can find a wealth of historical information, documents and photographs all relating to Faringdon and its neighbourhood throughout the ages.
If you have any historical information or stories to add to our new website please do contact us.
Faringdon & District Archaeological & Historical Society (FDAHS) was formed in 1978 with about 12 members in response to the opportunity to look for archaeological features as the Faringdon by-pass was constructed. The membership of the Society has fluctuated over the years but now stands at 25. Rosemary Church has been the Chairman for the whole of the Society’s existence. Members have followed a wide range of interests and have staged several exhibitions of their work. We have participated in excavations on Roman and Medieval sites, local surveys have been carried out and records of the memorials made. Parish registers of the locality have been transcribed; deeds from various houses have been read and printed for the householder and for the Society’s records; school log books and local church’s minutes have been transcribed; members have participated in national surveys of old barns and wartime pill boxes; we have made collections of photographs from numerous sources, so as to preserve them for the future; four of the members published three books of photographs entitled ‘The Changing Faces of Faringdon’; we have a collection of old maps and many reference books of all kinds.
The Society meets on the third Wednesday in the month in the Old Town Hall, visitors are very welcome. We sometimes have a visiting speaker to talk about their research into local issues. The meetings start at 7:45 pm and cost £5.00 for non-members. Membership subscriptions of £25 are due at the October meeting. For further details please contact us here.
|Date for your Diary 2020
XXX All meetings postponed until further notice XXX
Mar 18th – Speaker – Tony Hadland “Who were the Hildesleys?”
The range of activities of the society have included:
As we ran out of space in members’ homes for our collections, we have, since 2009, had a Local History Room in the library. Here most of our collections now reside for the benefit of people from Faringdon and district, and for others who come from all over the country and the world, to research their interests in the district. As items become available they are added to the collection. The Local History Room is open during library hours and is available for consultation after registering their interest with the librarians on the ground floor. The photographs are being scanned onto the computer for consultation in the History Room and the originals will be deposited in Oxford Record Office for their continuing safety.
Research into the societies records can be undertaken, for a fee of about £5 depending on the length of time it takes. All the research carried out by the society, together with reference books are available in the History Room, accessible when Faringdon Library is open. For further details go to our Society Resources page.
For further details please contact us here.
Photos on this page: Faringdon Sheep Market 1904 and The Market Hall 1913.
Most of the images on this website are scanned from the original photographs given to the society and stored in the society’s archives. Please do not copy, reproduce, republish, download, post, broadcast, transmit, adapt, alter, create a derivative work or otherwise use any content from this website in any way without first contacting the society.