Church Street officially starts at the church and ends at the turning for Coach Lane. Street maps show it starting from the centre of town and heading towards the church (photo) as you would expect but that section has officially become a part of The Market Place. However, it is still sometimes referred to as Church Street or even Portwell, because it is on the Port (public) side of Faringdon and there is a well in the middle of the street. At the other end of Church Street, the road continues as Church Path or Church Walk to Church Path Farm; then as a public footpath past some more farmhouses and on to Littleworth and Buckland.
Starting on Church Path, heading south-west towards the church:
1982. #34-30. At the end of Church Street, Coach Lane turns off to the right opposite the old fire engine shed. The building on the corner is Bleak House, once a cheese warehouse. The second photo shows more of the street, #34-22 looking south from just down the hill on the Radcot Road. Next door to Bleak House was originally the coach house and stable for the adjacent house called The Grove. This building was occupied by by Mr Crowdy, solicitor, and later became Dr Pulling’s surgery. One of the rooms in The Grove had two large cupboards with iron doors (installed during the time of the solicitor’s practice for holding important and private documents. These cupboards were used by Dr Pulling for his drugs and medicines
1953. Church Street #20-14 looking towards town from the corner with Radcot Road. #20 was the Church Farmhouse. The archway on the left leads into the yard belonging to Mr Lister, a builder. he previous owners were Cadel’s the builders who were responsible for erecting much of the Marlborough Gardens Estate. The corner of the converted old stables #3 is on right of photo.
Views of the area in front of All Saints Church 1898-1910: