Renovations at 7 Market Place

Market Place 7 C1970Market Place 6 8 2001No. 7 Market Place had been owned by C.S.Liddiard (grocers) since the 1880’s until around 1970 when it became a shop selling wool and clothes. During 1996 extensive renovations took place in order to turn it into a place for Faringdon’s Tourist Information Centre.

Many discoveries were made during the renovations, not least an old cobbled passageway at the side of the shop going through to Swan Lane.

Market Place 7a 1996
A cobbled street at the side of the shop with storage rooms on the right.
Market Place 7b 1996
A functioning pump was found at the side of the shop.
Market Place 7e 1996
Looking from the rear towards the Market Place along the cobbled street. The right hand wall with windows marks the boundary between properties.
Market Place 7f 1996
Looking towards the Market Place, the left hand side shows the door-ways into several storage areas.
Market Place 7d 1996
One of the storage rooms off the cobbled street.
Market Place 7c 1996
One of the storage rooms off the cobbled street showing a printing press and stamps.