A historical record of shops and other businesses in Coxwell Street. There were once 7 shops and 4 public houses on this short street; now only 2 shops remain and no pubs.
The photographs below were taken in the year 2000 by a group of local residents *. Beneath each on is a simple historical list of known occupants up to 2020 and the rough dates they were last known to be at the property. The number given for each property corresponds as accurately as possible to the postal address and is shown on the above map. There is also a Coxwell Street Views‘ page that contains general information about the street and may contain further details on the premises shown in the photographs.
Coxwell Street – odd numbers – heading south-west from the roundabout :
Coxwell Street – even numbers – heading back north-east towards the roundabout:
Burtwell & Drew at No.19 from 1947-1988. Originally the building belonged to the First Primitive Methodist Church then the Church of England Mission Hall. In 1947, Burtwell & Drew took over and turned it into a shop selling electrical goods. The building was set back from its neighbours so in about 1958 a new shop front was added. The business closed in 1988 and the building was converted into a private house. Later, sometime after 2000, the front extension was removed.
1994. ‘Le Salon’ at #3 Coxwell Street was originally a butcher shop and has changed many times since – various hair salons, a party shop, a bride shop, and now since about 2018 a bike shop.