More photographs and information about the shops and other businesses in London Street. The photographs of premises shown here have been scanned in from the original photographs given to the Society over the years and stored in the Society’s archives. The numbers given for each property mentioned correspond as accurately as possible to the postal addresses and are shown on the above map. An occupational history of each premises, as far as is known, can be found on the ‘Shops & Businesses in London Street (1)‘ page. There is also a ‘London Street Views‘ page that contains general information about the street and may contain further details on the premises shown in the photographs.
London Street (odd numbers) in the 18/1900s
1910s/20s. Eastoe’s grocery shop #77 at the corner of London Street and Coach Lane. It was bought by Miss Elsie Bedford around 1926. Finally Cecil Blissett bought it around 1946, keeping it as a grocery shop and in due course it became their family home.
London Street (even numbers) in the 18/1900s
1931. #10 Chamberlain & Son’s grocery store since 1910 (later an off licence) in London Street. Left to right: Arthur Shurmer; Leslie Pauling; Dorothy Bowerman; Betty Willis; Jim Egleton; Ted Newdick; Jack Bryan (his first day at work). This was a very high-class grocer/ the smell of freshly ground coffee would linger in the street tempting customers inside. The shop was rebuilt c.1938 and the frontage moved back to its present position. The Co-op moved here for a short time when their premises in Marlborough Street were demolished to make way for the Police Station and Telephone Exchange.
1914 & 2000. Just around the corner was Skinner’s bakery in Skinners Alley or Lane, formerly called Colliers Row. Mrs Skinner holding her 2 year old son, Norman. Mr Legge, the delivery boy holding the bicycle, was killed in WWI. The National Trust used these premises after the bakery closed and tried to revive the old name of the street, but the Post Office would not recognise it. Note that the shop front says Union Street (now Ferndale Street), which runs parallel to London Street at the other end of the alley. The single floor premises shown in both photos has been demolished and by 2008 became a two-story house.