A historical record of shops and other businesses in the Market Place, sometimes appearing as Market Street in a postal address. Shops and businesses have flourished here for many generations and premises have changed ownership many times. Some have closed down permanently at some time and have subsequently been converted into private houses, especially those furthest from the town centre.
The photographs below were taken in the year 2000 by a group of local residents. Beneath each one is a simple historical list of known occupants up to the present time and the rough dates they were last known to be at the property. The number given for each property corresponds as accurately as possible to the postal address and is shown on the map.
Faringdon Market Place (starting in Church Street) #1. Built 1890; Salutation Hotel 1911-72+; Faringdon Hotel; Salutation Mansions (private apartments) #2. Crowdy & Rose Solicitors 1953. This building replaced three old shops – Pettifer, the builder’s 1880s, a barber’s, and a sweet shop that were there in the 1880s (see old photos below). #3. Mr Heavens (butcher) c1903; Boycott and Wright; Pat Thomas (butcher) 1966-2020+. #4. Barnard (general store) 1891; Cadel’s (general store) 1903; A.E.Lismore (hardware) 1953-73+;
#4a. Antiques 1978; The Country Lady (clothes) 1985; Modern Music c1990; Breath of Spring (florist) c1994-97; The Oxford Jeweller 2000; Orafric Jeweller 2014
#4b. Self hardware; The Mouse (dress shop) 1978; Musselwhite (crockery shop); Faringdon Whole Foods c1987; Faringdon Coffee House 2000; Sub Rosa 2017. #5. Pump House (spring in cellar); County of Gloucester Bank; Eagle Brewery (offices) 1880’s; Auxiliary Red Cross Hospital 1914; Institute and ex-Servicemens’ club; Town Social Club <1972; Community Centre 1978-99; Faringdon Town Council; Pump House Community Rooms 2013; Tourist Information Centre c2015-20+ #6. Olivia Palmer (hairdresser) + The Buttery (cafe) c1970; Saffron Gallery (arts & crafts) 1978; Sinclair’s Restaurant 1981-87+; Market Restaurant 2001; The Retreat Hairdresser 2016-19. #7. Originally a passage way to Swan Lane through door on right; George Ernest (grocer & bacon curer) 1880’s; Private House #7a. G.S.Liddiard (grocer & wholesale tobacconist) 1880’s-1972; The Wool Market 1985; The Clothes Shop 1994; Tourist Information Centre 2000-2005; Thanks a Bunch (flowers) 2014; Hare in The Woods 2015-17; Stay Grounded (coffee shop) 2017-20 #8. Originally 2 private houses; County of Gloucester Bank 1880’s; Lloyds Bank 1897-2018. #9. E.Lay (baker) 1880’s; Willis (baker); Hogan (baker); Duringer’s Confectionery 1962-66+; Ramsbury Building Society 1973; Pilgrim Bond (estate agent) c1990s; Marriotts Chartered Surveyors 1994 #10. Butcher’s shop 1800’s; Cooper (chymist) 1880’s; Bernard Haynes (solicitor) upstairs 1910; Cheltenham & Gloucester Building Society 1987; African Children’s Fund (charity shop) 2005 Crossing over London Street – #11-12. Arthur W. Smith (draper) 1910-1919+; Noel R. Wilkes (draper) 1927-60+; Mortons (general store) 1985 closed 1986.
#11. Faringdon Travel 1991-96/7; Curry Kitchen; Faringdon Kebab and Pizza house; Best Food 2000. #12. F.W.Creese (costumes, millinery, dressmaking) 1903,1914; Gingers (music & video) c1992; Ritz Video 1994; Blockbuster Video 1996; The Exchange 2014; RV’s Fishing Tackle & Baits 2018-19 #13. Cistercian monk’s hospice 11-1200’s; Public House/Inn 1600’s. T.Franklin Commercial Hotel c1900; The Bell Hotel. #14. Pocock’s Corner. Pocock & Son (tailors) 1891-1926; Barclays Bank 1926-2014; Quad cafe from 2015- 2018; Jackson & Browning (Funeral Services) 2017;. Upper floors – Davenports Business Centre; Bordengate Insurance 2012 #15/16. Anns’ Garage c1900-1912; Tuckers Greengrocer; Kings; Pocock & Son (tailors) 1926-31; Langham’s (greengrocers) 1953-73+ & Hobbs & Chambers (estate agents) 1914-85; Perry & Chambers (estate agents) 2000; Perry, Bishop & Chambers (Estate Agents) 2014 #17. Ballard & Co (chemists) 1891-c1995+; Dove (chemist); Boots Pharmacy 2014 #18. Abel Bros (watchmaker & jewellers) 1877-1937+; E.Leverton & Sons (jewellers) 1960-73+; Deacon & Son (jewellers) 1970s-2018. Vacant. #19. Built early 1600’s as private house; part of Eagle Brewery 1891; Fergusons Ltd (wine & spirits) 1940s-70s; re-fronted 1970s; Togs & Toys c1970s; split #19a. Mustard Seed 1993. #19b. To Let in 1993; Rob the Cheese 2000; Manna Delicatessen 2007; Manhattan Ink 2019. Crossing over Marlborough Street – #20. Private House #21. International Stores (grocers) 1911-60s; Rollers Bargain Shop; The Bargain Centre 1972-2007+; Really Useful Shop 2014; Glow 2017; no name 2019, empty 2020. Door to upstairs #21a. Private House #22. Joseph Newman (blacksmith) 1877; Demolished and replaced by Anns’ Garage 1912-1963+; Busby’s Newsagents 1972; Martins Newsagents; Mallows Newsagents 1987-89+; Dillons Newsagents 1999; McColl’s Newsagents & Post Office 2018 #23. Dated 1645; Taylor’s (greengrocers) 1908; R.A.Robey (dairy & veg) 1930’s; Jane’s Pantry 1949-73+; Restaurante Franco 1995; Herbs Restaurant; Sadlers Catering 2014 #24. Built 1600’s; Burgess (saddler) c1970; S&J.M Cooper (Sadler) <1972-2003; The Sadlers (coffee shop) 2014 Market Hall or Town Hall built after the Civil war in 1645. Used as a meeting room & magistrates court; jail; ambulance & fire station; Faringdon Branch Library; Red Cross charity shop; now a meeting room available for hire. #25. The Old Crown Coaching Inn 1500’s. #26. Originally part of The Crown; Post & Telegraph Office in 1880’s-1900’s; Angel Inn until 1920’s; Portwell House Hotel 1953-1990’s; Portwell Angel (closed 2018); Ruby Jacks (cellar bar) 2016-19. Upper floor – Bordengate Insurance 2014.
#27. Disco cellar bar; Coffee shop; Portwell Wine bar; Portwell Cellar Bar; Just Jacks – Wine bar 2014-18. #28. Camden House – Faringdon Rural and District Council 1950’s; Old people’s residential home; Private House
#28. Camden House, #29. Church View House and #30 Astley House (entrance left of stone pillar). The gate on right of the stone pillar is the entrance to Faringdon House.