It was proposed in 1926 that facilities should be provided for members of the Baptist, Congregational and Methodist churches to play tennis. This came to fruition in 1934 when the Club had its first season. The three courts were at the end of Southampton Street. Two courts were on the level and were used for the senior players, the juniors used the third court which was on a slope. There was also space for a croquet lawn.
The land was sold off during the 2nd World War, the hut being used for the Land Army girls. After the war the Secondary School used the hut for needlework classes. The land is now used for housing.
Extracted from: The Changing Faces of Faringdon and Surrounding Villages – Book 3 p55. By Rosemary Church, Jim Brown, Millie Bryan and Beryl Newman. Robert Boyd Publications. Now out of print.