All Saints Church
The parish church is on the site of earlier buildings of the Saxon and Norman period. Parts of the church date from the 12th and 13th Century. The Unton, Pye and Bennett families have their tombs and monuments in the church. All the stained glass windows in the chancel are dedicated to the Bennett family. More…
Church of England Mission Hall
A Mission Hall, built under the auspices of the Parish Church, was erected in Coxwell Street. Permission to use it for any event had to be obtained from the Vicar. Used for scout and guide meetings. Converted to an electrical shop with new front added in 1947.
The Movement was founded in 1740 by John Wesley and a Chapel was built in Gloucester Street, Faringdon in 1837 and held a congregation of about 200 people. It became a Masonic Temple, Vale of the White Horse Lodge No. 1770, in1921.
Society of Friends (Quakers)
Quakers Meeting House on Lechlade Road. Quakers were present in Faringdon from as early as 1660 when Richard Greenaway was recorded as suffering persecution for his faith. The All Saints parish registers record burials of Friends at the Quaker’s Place from 1678. The Meeting House was built in the 17th C. with alterations in the 19th C.
Congregational (or Independent) Church, United Reformed Church, Roman Catholic Church of the Blessed Hugh
The original Independent Chapel was built in 1799 but in 1818 it was found that the building was too small and so a site in Marlborough Street was purchased by people of the Church for £540 – Edward Hunt Butler, mealman; Edward Tombs, butcher; James Edwards, yeoman; Benjamin Cooper, shoemaker; Richard Wells and his son James, collar-makers; Edmund Peaple, grocer; John Scrivens and James HiIl, shoemakers; Charles Golding, carpenter from Stanford; James Basson, labourer from Kelmscot. Originally the site was a shop occupied by George Adams, carrier, and then Ann Carpenter, widow, before being turned into a private dwelling occupied by John Arkell. A Meeting House with a Vestry Room was erected on the site in 1840 by Mr Fidel who had a business opposite in Marlborough Street. He was the master mason employed to build Beckett House, Shrivenham, and also built the Faringdon Poor Law Union Workhouse. The Faringdon Group of churches covered Faringdon, Stanford, Shellingford, Fernham, Hatford and Langford. About 1972 the Congregational and Presbyterian Churches merged to form the United Reformed Church and the building was sold in 1974 to become the Roman Catholic Church of the Blessed Hugh.
The Baptist Church in Bromsgrove. Although there had been worshippers in Faringdon before this time the formal formation of a church of Faringdon did not take place until 1657. A burial ground was purchased in Westbrook, the earliest burial being that of Martha wife of Richard Steed in 1695, and was closed in 1866. The Baptists met to worship in each other’s houses until a chapel was built about 1700. In the middle of the l8th C. attendance had dropped and the chapel was used as a stable. This chapel was demolished and the present building was erected with extensions in 1852. The Sunday School was founded in 1824, the Fidel family and then Joseph Abel were superintendents of it for many years. The Faringdon Baptist Church was also responsible for the chapels of Little Coxwell, Buscot and Kingston Lisle. The chapel at Little Coxwell was erected c.1880 by Alfred Carter but over the years the congregation fell and by 1953 it was used as a temporary classroom by the Education Authorities. It was eventually taken over by the Baptist Union under the Fuller Model Trust in 1955. Buscot chapel was built in 1882 in place of a dilapidated building and was sold in 7976 as congregations had dwindled. The building at Kingston Lisle was given up about 1918.
United Reformed Church
The United Reformed Church at the junction of Coxwell Street and Gravel Walk. The Primitive Methodists, founded in 1811, were an off-shoot of the Methodists. Their Chapel was built in Coxwell Street in 1851 and was able to hold around 160 people. It is the old building adjoining the present United Church.
Text extracted from: The Changing Faces of Faringdon and Surrounding Villages – Book 3 p27-33. By Rosemary Church, Jim Brown, Millie Bryan and Beryl Newman. Robert Boyd Publications.