Canada Lane, previously Gashouse Lane turns off the Lechlade Road at the corner with the infant school. It was once the site of the gas works but changed its name once the gas works were demolished. Past the infant school are the garden allotments on the right and the Free Church Cemetery on the left. Near the end, a new road branches off to the left providing access to The Pines housing estate, Ferendune Court (care home) and Oakwood House (sheltered housing). At the end of the lane, a farm track and public footpath across the field connects with Highworth Road. There is also a short footpath left into the Orchard Hill housing estate and right or westward to local farms and Badbury Hill.
Looking up from the end of Canada Lane towards the Lechlade Road. This section at the end is not tarmacked and has a few old cottages and now some new houses. Behind is a farm track and public footpath up Humpty Dumpty Hill to Highworth Road. The main road can be seen sweeping round to the right into the new housing estate called The Pines.
The Free Church Cemetery and Gas Works
Faringdon Gas, Light and Coke Company was set up in 1835 and Gashouse Lane was a new road built to provide access to it. See Supplying the Gas for more about the gas works.
The cemetery was established next to the gas works in 1860 for the burial of those who did not conform to the Anglican Church. Previously the area had been an orchard. It has not been used for burials since the 1940s. All the information on and around the gravestones has been recorded in a searchable Excel spreadsheet, which can be obtained from the Faringdon Community Website at www.faringdon.org/faringdon-free-church-cemetery.html
Tetronics (International) Ltd
In August 1978, Tetronics (International) Ltd took over the site of the old gas works which had not been in use since the 1940s. According to their website they provide waste management and resource recovery solutions to deal with a variety of materials such as spent catalysts, asbestos and nuclear waste. The site has now been left derelict again since they moved out in December 2000.