Woolstone is a small village on the spring-line beneath the Berkshire Downs, about 7 miles south-east of Faringdon, just beyond Uffington. It is an old Anglo-Saxon village that was part of the estate given to the powerful thegn Wulfric around 944-960, and hence called Wulfrics tūn. It was recorded in the Domesday Book as Olvricestone (1086) and later as Wolfrichstone (1204). The modern spelling may have evolved slowly after around 1600 until its first known appearance in 1830. The Church of England parish church of All Saints was built in about 1195 and is now a Grade II listed building. The 2011 Census recorded the parish’s population as 210.
- Photos from FDAHS archives folder V-Y.
- The English Place-Name Society – https://epns.nottingham.ac.uk/search
Researched and compiled by Ian Lee, November 2021.