In the early 1900s, houses were mainly strung along the roads in the central area of the town and was much as it is now although a few buildings have since been demolished and rebuilt. There were also a few houses well spaced further out of town along the exit roads. As the century progressed the gaps were slowly filled in by locally-based builders producing ribbon developments, especially along Park Road, Coxwell Road, Highworth Road and Fernham Road. Strangely though, the total population of around 3000 hardly changed since the 1831 census; it dipped around 10% during the 1920s and 30s between the wars, then rose 20% during the post-war baby boom to become only the 3207 recorded in the 1951 census.
From the 1950’s, big national building companies started looking at Faringdon and buying up farm land on which to build large housing estates. Also, following the closure of the railway in 1963 industrial developments started to build up along Park Road on the land left behind by the railway.
The following is a list of housing estates grouped into decades in which they were built. They are numbered the same as on the map on which each decade is colour-coded. This is a rough guide largely based on memory and old photographs so may not be completely accurate.
Researched by Ian Lee, July 2020.