Stanford in the Vale is a village and civil parish in the Vale of White Horse about 3½ miles south-east of Faringdon on the road to Wantage. The population was 2,093 in the 2011 Census. The village is mentioned as Stanford in the Domesday Book (1086). It got its name from ‘stony ford’, which although the River Ock crosses the main road just south but outside of the village, it was probably a crossing-place on Frogmore Brook at the northern end of the village.
The Church is dedicated to St. Denys, parts of it dating to the 12th C. and the 14th C. The village has a Congregational Chapel and a Primitive Methodist Chapel. Manor Farm was built in 1700 and Cox’s Hall in 1690. Stanford Place, situated between Wadley Manor and Bowling Green Farm, was built in the 19th C. Enclosure of the common lands took place in 1783. There were local stone pits producing soft stone used in the repair of the roads. Stanford cheeses were famous locally for being moulded in the shape of a hare lying in its form and covered with chopped sage.
1. Photos scanned directly from society archives.
2. The English Place-Name Society search page – https://epns.nottingham.ac.uk/search
3. The Changing Faces of Faringdon and Surrounding Villages – Book 2 p75-84 by Rosemary Church, Jim Brown, Millie Bryan and Beryl Newman. Robert Boyd Publications 2001.
Researched and compiled by Ian Lee, October 2021.